If you are visiting Brazil, you must try the most famous brazilian dessert: BRIGADEIRO!
Brigadeiro is a soft chocolate sweet made of cocoa(or chocolate powder), condensed milk and butter. In every brazilian birthday party, no matter in which part of Brazil you are, you will find brigadeiros🙂 People loves to eat it in the pan, meanwhile they’re watching movies. You can also easily find it in any bakery in Brazil, also in some restaurants(served as desserts) and now there are even some stores specialized in brigadeiros.
This famous dessert was created in 1940 by the wife of Brigadeiro(in english: brigadier) Eduardo Gomes, who was a candidate to be president in that year. During the fundraising events Eduardo Gomes’ wife cooked candies to serve the guests. They loved the chocolate sweet and started asking: Have you tried the Brigadeiro‘s candy? Where is the Brigadier’s candy? And that is why the dessert is called “Brigadeiro”🙂
Do you want to try it too? So let’s learn how to make it.😉 It’s not difficult even you don’t have many talents in the kitchen.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 can of condensed milk(in Brazil the best one to make brigadeiros is Leite Moça).
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder(you can also use chocolate powder, but then you need to put 6 table spoons)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- chocolate sprinkles(optional)
- Use a non-sticky pan and a wooden spoon, it will help you to mix better the ingredients. Set the stove top to medium-low.
- Put 2 tablespoon of butter to melt in the pan
- When the butter is melted, add the whole can of condensed milk.
- Now add the cocoa or chocolate powder. BUT if you use cocoa, you should get a glass with a bit of water first, to dissolve it before to put in the pan, because cocoa does not dissolve very well with condensed milk. If you use chocolate powder, it’s not necessary do it.
- Stir with the wooden spoon for at least 20 minutes and it can take as long as 40 minutes. You should stir in circular movements and make sure you get the Brigadeiro from the sides so it does not stick there and burn.
- You know it is ready when you divide it in half with the spoon and it stays parted for a few secondst or when you scoop some brigadeiro with the wooden spoon, turn the spoon upside down, and it holds there for an instant before falling back into the pan.
If you want to make the balls as the brazilians do, you should put it in the fridge for about 30min. because you need it firm and not so hot to make the balls. After that, put some butter in your hands and make the balls. Roll them on the chocolate sprinkles and IT’S READY!! BOM APETITE!